The Methodist Church of Cape St. Claire was inspired by Charles R. Thorney, Jr., and a group of interested residents who wanted a community church. Reverend Gerald Ackerman conducted the first services in the home of Katie Barnsley and Ann Lehmann on Little Magothy Drive. Services were then held in the clubhouse until the church was built. On October 31, 1954, a group of twenty-three formed the first church membership.
Groundbreaking for the new Cape St. Claire Methodist Church was held on Sunday, April 17, 1955, on the corner of Summit and Chestnut Tree Drives. Part of the area on which the church stands was donated by the River Bay Company and the rest of the area was purchased with money loaned by the Methodist Extension Service.
On Sunday, December 16, 1956, dedication services were held for the first official church of Cape St. Claire. The Reverend Paul W. Galvin, minister of the church, conducted the dedicating ceremonies.
In April 1962 a building committee was formed and preliminary plans were drawn for a two story educational building. After the drawings were approved by the District Board of Methodist Churches the new addition was completed in the Fall of 1962. The last of the buildings to be erected on the church grounds was a parsonage.
Photo and information credit: Broadneck: Maryland's Historic Peninsula by the Broadneck Jaycees, 1976.